BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Endocrinology
Carmel T. Mooney
Mark E. Peterson
Building on the success of previous editions, the editors have sought to combine the best of the old with the new in this updated Fourth Edition of the BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Endocrinology.
Since publication of the last edition in 2004, there have been many significant advances in clinical endocrinology of companion animals. Several endocrine disorders, such as feline acromegaly and hyperaldosteronism, have risen in importance. The use of novel insulins in diabetic cats and dogs, as well as a wide range of new therapies, have emerged for routine use and are discussed in detail in this Manual. In addition, the genetic risks associated with many endocrine disorders have not been elucidated.
This new edition has been comprehensively updated, while retaining the emphasis on the common problems encountered in investigating and treating endocrine diseases. The Manual is divided into sections covering each endocrine gland and the major and minor endocrine disorders of each species. A separate section deals with relevant presenting complaints in a problem oriented manner.
The fourth edition of this manual provides a ready source of practical information for the practicing veterinarian and will also be useful for students, technicians, and graduates embarking on further specialization.
Click on the link to read a sample chapter from this book, on "Investigation of unstable feline diabetes mellitus."
Table of Contents:
Part 1: Introduction
- Hormone assays and collection of samples
- Principles of interpreting endocrine test results
- Disorders of vasopressin production
- Pituitary dwarfism
- Canine hypothyroidism
- Canine hyperthyroidism
- Feline hyperthyroidism
- Feline hypothyroidism
- Canine diabetes mellitus
- Feline diabetes mellitus
- Insulinoma and other gastrointestinal tract tumours
- Canine hypoadrenocorticism
- Canine hyperadrenocorticism
- Feline hyperadrenocorticism
- Feline hypoadrenocorticism
- Feline hyperaldosteronism
- Investigation of polyuria and polydipsia
- Investigation of hypercalcaemia and hypocalcaemia
- Investigation of unstable canine diabetes mellitus
- Investigation of unstable feline diabetes mellitus
- Investigation of hypoglycaemia
- Investigation of symmetrical alopecia in dogs
- Investigation of adrenal masses
- Investigation of hyperlipidaemia
Amanda K. Boag, UK; Rosario Cerundolo, UK; Dennis J. Chew, USA; David B. Church, UK; Sylvie Daminet, Belgium; Lucy J. Davison, UK; Steve Dodkin, UK; Peter A. Graham, UK; Danièlle Gunn-Moore, UK; Andrea M. Harvey, UK; Michael E. Herrtage, UK; Peter P. Kintzer, USA; Hans S. Kooistra, The Netherlands; Carlos Melian, Spain; Carmel T. Mooney, Republic of Ireland; Raymond F. Nachreiner, USA; Rhett Nichols, USA; Stijn J.M. Niessen, UK; Kostas Papasouliotis, UK; Mark E. Peterson, USA; Ian K. Ramsey, UK; Jacquie Rand, Australia; Nicki Reed, UK; Kent R. Refsal, USA; Patricia A. Schenck, USA; Johan P. Schoeman, South Africa; Robert E. Shiel, Australia; Barbara J. Skelly, UK; Annemarie M.W.Y. Voorbij, The Netherlands.
Purchase the Fourth Edition of the BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Endocrinology: